Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

For Librarians

June 29, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

June 29, 2021

10:00 AM – 10:35 AM

 

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Michael Mitchell (Mike), Library Director, SE
  • Cynthia Belmar (Cindy), Library Director, NW
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

Chat

Stats were pulled from May 29th until now, out of 316 chats, 13 were missed. This is below the average amount of missed calls when 9 people were logged on. Missed chats will become a high concern if the number increases. When Librarians notice staff signed onto chat and is not responding to chats or colleagues, Directors should be notified to discuss the matter. Cindy and Bill will schedule a minimum of two people on chat. No final decision was made for the other locations.

Process to request new laptops

Some staff are having issues when trying to complete instruction session, is there a process to replace these laptops? The current process is to submit a request through IT, they will try to update/ repair before completely replacing.

Checking out laptops to an IT patron account

We will discuss this matter once Angela is at the meeting.

June 22, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

June 22, 2021

10:00 AM – 12:03 PM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Michael Mitchell (Mike), Library Director, SE
  • Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
  • Cynthia Belmar (Cindy), Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
  • Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE
  • Steve Rota, Regional IT Manager, SYS
  • Pradip Pael, Sr. Campus Tech, SYS

 

Discussions

PEP

Mick is currently working through PEPs, he will be on them the remainder of the week, once evaluations are reviewed and returned, reach out to Mick for a meeting. All PEPs should be completed by June 30th.

LC Meeting Schedule

Library Council agreed to reset the meeting daates to the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month. For now, we will try to keep the 1st and 3rd Tuesday open just in case a meeting is needed. Mick will delete the current reoccurring meeting and resend with new dates.

Print Station updates

Not all library locations have been visited, IT is planning to reimage all libraries. Some PC devices cannot handle the software load, there are currently 102 computers that will need to be replaced. Pradiq is the current contact for Directors, while on vacation we will be updated with a contact person. First time disappearing print job has not been resolved. IT plans to send a consistent image to the library computers with the load list provided.

Flipster

Library Council reviewed titles from Flipster and agreed on renewals, Library Journal and Booklist will be added. Raquel will check the budget and will submit a budget adjustment as needed. There is room in our budget for us to add more titles in the future.

Deadline for print periodicals

Print periodicals is now lower than $20,000, our libraries are set up to have a few periodicals available. Across the libraries print periodicals have more than hundreds of in-house usages.

Houston Chronicle subscriptions

Renewing Houston Chronicle will be a local decision on how each college will have the papers delivered.

Cost for WTCox renewals

The option for paying with a P-card has given more flexibility when ordering. Angela will pay for Central’s subscriptions for September 1st.

Chat participation standard

Chat participation will be finalized next meeting, a proposal was made to have 1 Librarian from each college or 5 total.

May 25, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Microsoft Teams
May 25, 2021
10:00 AM – 11:53 PM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Michael Mitchell (Mike), Library Director, SE
  • Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
  • Cynthia Belmar (Cindy), Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
  • Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE
  • David Colter, IT Regional Manager, SYS
  • Sandra LeBron, IT Regional Manager, SYS
  • Brenda Quintanilla, IT Regional Manager, SYS
  • Tim Snyder, IT Regional Manager, SYS

Discussions

  • Virtual Desktops for students
    This project was created to give students a customized user interface that students can have access to open campuses and instructional labs resources from their home computers. Chromebooks available from the library will be updated to have AnyConnect available. Sandra will send the remote access link to Library Council.
  • Disparity in chat reference questions
    Chat reference protocol is to have one person per full-service campus with the notable exception of Sunday, when we had one person per college. If you notice disparities, it will be the Directors responsibility to check statistics. If you feel your team is not answering chats questions, make sure they are logged in and have the capacity to answer chats. If they are not, get feedback on concerns. There should be at the minimum eight librarians logged. If we notice only three librarians logged in either send an email or message through Teams to get more librarians to log in.
  • Disparity in video library instruction sessions
    Librarians are required to host at least three webinars per semester, this is a great way to deliver content. The webinar requirements were set in place to ensure we are maintaining the program. It is it not sustainable for one person to do more than fifty webinars in a semester. Mick wanted to see more librarians doing more than three webinars to get more comfortable with the webinar process. It is the Directors responsibility to check the stats on hosted webinars as well.
  • Can FT Librarians work as PT Librarians while on vacation for FT position
    Library Council agreed as long as the FT Librarian shift is not within the same hours as the Librarians PT shift. One is contract and the other is hourly.
  • FT or PT preference for evening and weekend hours
    Speak with employees to see who wants to work night and weekend hours. We can create a rotating shift to make sure all employees are getting hour, even if that means a librarian losing a shift.
  • Gate Counter at Central is not working
    If gate issues persist, each Director can contact 3M to schedule for a technician to come out. Raquel can check the budget, if we need to move money to cover expenses, we can.

May 18, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

May 18, 2021

10:00 AM – 11:48 AM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Michael Mitchell (Mike), Library Director, SE
  • Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
  • Cynthia Belmar (Cindy), Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

  1. Remote Desktop access
    Mick spoke with Sandra LeBron, no specific instructions have been created for students on how to login using Remote Desktop for programs. Sandra wants to collaborate with Library Council to discuss how we can assist students. Sandra, David, Brenda and Tim Snyder will attend our next meeting, they are scheduled to join at 11:00 am.
  2.  SACSCOC update
    We submitted our SACS report in March, the document was reviewed, 11.1 came back as non-compliant, there are questions concerning how big HCC as is a whole. Mick will continue to receive assistance from our consultant, once reply is complete, Mick will send the report and the reply to Library Council for feedback. There will be a meeting held regarding 8.2c to assess learning outcomes.
  3. Next Steps Academic Integrity discussion
    Erica wanted to verify some of the action items, Mandy Palmer will be working with a few librarians to create a prototype in Canvas. Alan will speak with the faculty senate to add this topic to their next meeting agenda. Erica suggested we create a committee to assist with getting actions completed. Directors will consider librarians who can contribute best to the conversation. Faculty from different disciplines can attend an academic integrity webinar to answer questions from faculty perspectives. Mick will speak with Jennifer regarding the webinar schedule. This topic will be discussed further next week.
  4. Supply Budget
    Cindy wanted to purchase some paperbacks and supplies for campus, Mick advised we have funds in our supply budget to cover the purchase. Additional funds could be transferred to the book budget.
  5. Communication Ideas – post pandemic
    Cindy inquired on how other directors are keeping up with their PT Staff, her staff reports to her periodically on what they are working on. Erica shared her method for her PT staff, those who are logged into chat are logged into Teams as well and post any urgent message, issues or questions that arise. Mick advised communication strategies do not have to be consistent across the board.
  6. LTA Trainings on guest accounts
    This discussion was resolved before meeting.

May 11, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

May 11, 2021

10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

 

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Michael Mitchell (Mike), Library Director, SE
  • Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
  • Cynthia Belmar (Cindy), Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE
  • Jim Livesey, IT Regional Manager, SYS

Discussions

Laptops

We will try to move the laptops and hotspots inventory from the Library Support area and transferred to campus locations. A small batch of laptops should be kept at LSS to handle emergency needs. 150 laptops will be sent to Spring Branch, we will send more devices to other campuses as needed. Reimaging will be completed on all laptops returned by students. Directors will email Jim for laptop pickup, IT will pick up and drop off to original location.

Hours to update the calendar

North Forest and West Houston Institute will be closed during the intercession. Acres Homes will stay open, but not considered an ERC. South will be open for the summer effective on May 24th, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. Coleman and Fraga will be open on the 24th, verify the hours of the building at both locations. Angela and Mira will update the hours on the calendar. Starting Monday, May 24, 2021, the virtual hours will be 7:30 am – 4:00 pm. Send confirmation of locations open and hours to Angela by the end of the week.

2021 Skills inventory/ sierra refresher

Angela and Keitha scheduled a Sierra refresher morning one day, afternoon the next day, for about an hour. This will cover the new skills inventory on the training guide, just to make sure everyone is back on track with Sierra on a day-to-day basis.

Life of Netbooks

We are starting to weed out the Netbooks that cannot be repaired, this is being done to Chromebooks as well, some are being used for parts. If you are packing things up for IT, sent a list of barcodes to Raul, he will complete a rapid status update.

IT Email about desktops and laptops

Laptops will be replacing desktops for all employees; dock stations will be placed at each desk. You do not have to take your laptops home. This change will give employees an easier way to work remotely from home if needed.

What does that mean for Cir and Ref desk computers?

IT does not want any laptops to be shared, it is possible to have one desktop and docking stations to accommodate PT and FT employees at the circulation and reference desk.

May 4, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

May 4, 2021

10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Michael Mitchell (Mike), Library Director, SE
  • Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
  • Cynthia Belmar (Cindy), Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE
  • Sonya Splane, Manager, Student Conduct & Intergrity
  • Alan Ainsworth, Faculty Division Chair
  • Stacy Welcome, Dean, Student Success
  • Mary Lawson, Faculty Associate Chair
  • Latonya Brown, Associate Dean, Student Engagement
  • Mandy Palmer, English Department

 

Discussions

 

Flipster

Angela will send the Flipster list to Library Council and the Database Committee for review.

Daily Stats

If Directors want to keep daily print statistics, we should consider keeping them for three years, but not required once logged in multiple electronic platforms.

Academic integrity planning

Mandy offered to create a canvas prototype that incorporates information covered in webinars. Mick will select a few librarians to assist with the project. Allen with speak with faculty senate to add discussion to their meeting agenda. All meeting participants are onboard with the mission to help students succeed in academic integrity.

Pay Stations

Steve Rota sent an email advising pay stations will remain in place so students can use cash to add values to their accounts.

Discarded gifts and weeded items to LSS

If the items are in a create list, LSS can withdraw them, the location can box them up, and a form will be submitted for a pickup request.

Soft seating in reopening

Campus management will decide if all furniture will be returned, couches may not being put back we don’t want to encourage two people sitting together. We should reopen and align with the three W’s and keep social distancing.

Hotspot deactivation and activation

Will be discussed either through email or added to the next agenda.

Update on Brauer art book sorting and categories

Fifty percent of the collection HCC will not keep this was notated on the official forms sent to foundations. A meeting was held, and we are able to sell the books, and a Fund2 will be created so the money can be directed back to the department through grants.

Fall book sale

Will be discussed either through email or added to the next agenda.

Process for sending IT overdue info for laptops for hotspots

Will be discussed either through email or added to the next agenda.

Netbooks is it time to withdraw them

Will be discussed either through email or added to the next agenda.

PEP for adjuncts

Cindy sent out a document to her PT Adjuncts on what their evaluation would cover, Mick and Bill agreed on this method.

April 20, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

April 20, 2021

10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
  • Erica Hubbard, Director, CE
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
  • Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

Food Policy

Library Council discussed if food should be allowed in the library starting summer semester. Erica believes we should ban food but continue to allow drinks. Bill has no concerns regarding food or drinks. Cindy does not mind snacks, but food is a slippery slope. Gwen agrees with no food for the summer. Mike agrees with no food policy starting summer. To be consistent the library will start the summer session with a no food policy. Mick wants to revisit this policy within a few of weeks or a month into the summer session.

Expected Behaviors and signs

Mick wanted to use the three W’s signs posted at HCC regarding students regarding codes of conduct. Directors will assist in locating the exact verbiage on the signs to assist with creating a sign surrounding the libraries behavior expectation. If any Directors see the sign, they will send a snapshot to Mick.

Delivery

Ken Hoyle has not given any feedback regarding delivery services for the library. Mick will invite Ken to one of our upcoming council meeting.

Plagiarism Assignment

Questions surrounding behavior intervention for students committing plagiarism. Could a in depth assignment be created for repeat offenders. Library Council is will look into creating something but ultimately wants to make sure we are giving students the best possible path to change their behavior. Mick will invite Dr. Sonya Splane and Jennifer to a council meeting to discuss further. Erica will reach out to Latonya Brown regarding attending a council meeting. Bill will reach out to Allen to check if they have created anything in the English dept.

March 30, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

March 30, 2021

10:00 AM – 11:30 AM

 

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

 

Requirement of 2 IDs for laptops

Currently HCC student IDs are not being issues, all libraries should accept expired HCC IDs with verification through Sierra to ensure the student is enrolled. With the exception of Chromebooks, when identifying age. HCC, State and national are acceptable forms of IDs. Mick will send an email to staff with updates on policy.

On-Campus returns services week of May 17th

We will be available for drop off and pick up services and to answer student’s questions when returning items at the screening stations. Remote operations will align with our regular hours of operation between semesters, no nights and weekends, remote operations will close at 4. Libguides were updates to reflect our status regarding closures and pickup services. Mick will update Library Council once informed when library staff will be returning face-to-face. Staff will be informed once an official announcement has been made.

Fall Library Retreat

Erica wanted to open a discussion surrounding a Fall retreat for staff, an event to bring a sense of togetherness for staff. Mick recommendation is to focus on local for the moment, and maybe something a little different towards the fall.

Laptop checkout Terms

Library Council agreed to begin semester/ end of enrollment period long checkouts for all devices, Chromebooks, Netbooks and Wi-Fi Hotspots, beginning soon, due dates will be updated manually.

HEERFA

HEERFA spending has to be done by December 2021. The timeline for submission has happened. Mick previously sent out an email explaining what expenses were allowed. The funds should be spent towards online learning such as UV ray book scanner to have a quicker turnover. Payroll was not one of the expenses Mick added in the proposal. If we have a particular project that requires additional staff, we may be able to submit a proposal. Book scanning equipment is in one of the proposals, what type of scanner, what to use it for, and who can use it. Mick will email Chris Burton with the book scanner quote to begin a conversation for HEERFA spending. Mick will speak with Warren regarding short term PT hiring.

February 29, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

February 9, 2021

10:00 AM – 11:30 PM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Erica Hubbard, Director, CE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

On-Campus pickup times

Library Council agreed the goal for pickup times is to have 4 hour minimum blocks, Monday – Friday for pickup services, unless a location is closed. Directors have local control of which 4 hour window works for their campus. If a student requires assistance outside of those hours, Directors are willing to assist. Our service standard is to have requested items available within 24 hours. Students will be notified when the item is ready, which location, and the time frame for pickup, by appointment only. Angela will update the study space page once pickup locations are operating.

Student technology needs spreadsheet

52 forms were sent to students regarding technology, over 20 students replied stating issues with slow or limited internet connection. Library Services has the opportunity to assist the students, a spreadsheet will be created with student contact information. Bill and Cindy will assign one of their Library Assistants to help complete.

Chat Scripts

Justine and Angela have recently reviewed chat scripts and made changes to FAQs as necessary. If there is a known discrepancy between an FAQ and a Libguide the Chair of the LOLC and their Director will be notified. Mick will email Library Council a draft email that will be sent to Library staff.

Spending

Library council agrees to start ordering print books. Librarians can order up to a $1000, Directors have full control of allocation. Angela will contact Directors to gain approval for orders over $1000.

Library fee proposal

The board would not approve any additional fees for the library.

Council minutes, Library Representative at meeting

Raquel will send an email of the latest meeting minutes for Library Council to review and approve. Library Council agreed to have a library representative attend the meeting, a Chair from the library sub committees is first to be considered.

Project based learning

Dr. Hodges will be presenting a proposal for project based learning at an upcoming Board meeting, Cindy believes this is a great opportunity for the library to assist. Cindy will keep Library Council updated with the date of the board meeting.

ENGL Artifacts Assessment update

Bill gave Library Council an update on the current data of HCC sources being used for student’s research papers. Bill will host a meeting to discuss this data with Librarians.

February 2, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

February 2, 2021

10:00 AM – 11:30 PM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Erica Hubbard, Director, CE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

 

Budget

Mick is not suggesting any cuts to the budget. A key document for us to continue to review is the Chancellor’s Financial contingency plan.

Wi-Fi Hotspots

Mick will send an email to Brian to discuss dual credit students checking out hotspots. Hotspots will be checked out first come, first serve basis. Devices will be checked out until the last day of the student’s enrollment. Brian will run reports to determine which devices need to be restricted due to individuals who are no longer students, lost devices, and devices not being used. Mick will send an email to all Circulation staff regarding hotspot updates.

FAQs

A new FAQ was created for hotspots that are currently available for checkout. Library Council approved accepting one form of ID for checkouts, this update will be made on all libguides. Angela will update the libguides, Directors will review their sections for needed updates.

Monitor chat to update FAQs

It is suggested chat transcripts should be monitored to make sure we have our information organized on the website so information can be accessed when we are not available through chat. Mick suggested LOLC be charged with reviewing chat transcripts for potential FAQs.

Charge for lost Chromebooks, Netbooks, and chargers

Library Council agreed to change the replacement cost of the Chromebook to $205 with a $10 processing fee and $25 for a power cord with a $10 processing fee. Angela will email circulation staff concerning changes.

January 26, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

January 26, 2021

11:00 AM – 12:03 PM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Erica Hubbard, Director, CE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

Dana Sturdevant, Director, Community Programming

 

Discussions

Course Reserves

Library Council agreed, each Director has the option to release reserve textbooks for checkout with the approval from the department. All items will require proof of approval and will be shared with other Directors.

HCC Opportunity Workshops

Dana shared current and future workshops available for HCC students and staff. Dana will email all fliers to Mick and he will forward to Directors for distribution to Library staff.

Status of Gale Literature Resource Center

Angela will request an updated quote from supplier, this will be a subscription we will use going forward. Raquel will complete documents needed for requisition.

ECM Orders

Mick proposed a thousand dollar budget per library for print books.

Review of Drop-off; Pick-up status: location, page, device availability, staffing, etc.

Mick will email Angela with updated information to be added to the pickup services page. Angela updates will reflect locations that are offering pickup and return services, hours and when it starts. Library Council agreed standard protocol, two people will be staffed at open library locations, except Eastside.

Chromebook/ Netbook waitlist

Erica proposed a shared list for Directors recording the number of students requesting devices. Mick recommends staff on-site to check inventory and make corrections to the catalog. A staff member from LRC will send library council checkout totals by week.

January 19, 2021

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

January 19, 2020

11:00 AM – 12:30 PM

 

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Erica Hubbard, Director, CE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

 

Webinar Email

Library Council unanimously approved the webinar email, LOLC will be exempt from webinar requirements due to production workloads.

Conditional reserves

CUG committee will discuss their uncertainties surrounding course reserve usage, a survey will be emailed for completion. Erica will share results with Library Council and CUG for further evaluation.

Student Services/ Printing

Erica will email the Dean of Students and cc Mick concerning student services support, computer usage and printing for prospective students.

LOLC proposal

Library Council voiced their concerns to Alex, all interests were answered within her presentation. Alex will email the final proposal Powepoint to Library Council and give an update on progress before winter break. Mick will be contacted if any assistance is needed.

Item Returns

Angela will send an email outlining return locations and instructions on January 19 before winter break.

Collection Development

Cindy inquired if there is a suggested ratio for ebooks and print spending. There is no ratio protocol in place, funds will be spent depending on department needs. Angela advised ebooks can be purchased anytime during the fiscal year, however ebooks orders should be processed before July to ensure funding. Mick believes we will be able to begin fulfilling print carts in February.

December 1, 2020

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

December 1, 2020

10:00 AM – 12:00 PM

 

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Erica Hubbard, Director, CE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

PT Librarians and staff on staff directory

Library Council agreed to add PT Librarians to the staff directory. Directors will be responsible for updating the list for their college. Angela will speak with the web committee to create a solution for updating the list.

Conditional reserves

Erica suggested this topic be discussed once we receive CUG’s committee recommendations. A meeting will be scheduled Friday to meet with the CUG committee, Erica will attend and update Library Council at the next meeting.

LOLC proposal

Library Council agreed on the proposal to offer online library events at the beginning of the Spring semester but will discuss further on dates. Cindy will speak with Alex regarding the concerns addressed during the meeting. Mick with speak with Dr. Drain concerning the proposal dates. Bill will contact Richard regarding delivering the content through the virtual faculty lounge. Alex will be invited to the next Library Council meeting.

Chromebook checkout for Spring

Library Council discussed the best options for advising students of Chromebooks return dates. Chromebook due dates will be extended until January, notices will be emailed to students regarding due dates and return locations. Mick will reach out to Dr. Drain and Dr. Perez to discuss no longer extending due dates after January. Also, Mick will speak with Charles to receive an update on new Chromebooks.

November 17, 2020

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

November 3, 2020

11:00 AM – 12:12 PM

 

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Erica Hubbard, Director, CE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

 

Pickup/ Drop-off

Pickup service information is within the booking site under the “Pickup & Drop Off Services” tab. Mick suggested revisions on the guideline, 2.6 should read like 3.2 in LibGuide and remove number 6 completely, Angela may the revisions. Mick will speak with Mildred regarding a generic

Health Sciences collection development question

Library Council agreed it is best to speak with the staff who will be handling these materials. Angela will meet with CUG regarding this matter, the meeting is scheduled for Friday morning. For now, we are not checking out reserve items.

Can we get an EBSCO, Springer, & Gale reports of eBooks usage

Four webcams will be given to each open campus, 20 in total. Directors have the option to checkout each webcam or have webcams stationed on computers.

I&A Committee

How will bookings be managed when we come close to compacity? Students are only allowed to book one reservation. We will not remove students from a space if there are open bookings available, after their booking they are concerned a walkup. Once we are close to capacity, this option will not be available.

WebEx Webinars

Mick will send an email to Directors regarding Librarians completing WebEx seminars during the spring semester.

Mini term hours and staffing

Mick recommends Southwest and Northwest campus handle the mini term virtually with two Librarians. Open from 8:00 am – 1:30 pm, no part-timers need to be scheduled. If coverage is needed, SW and NW will reach out to other Directors.

PSLO2 Quiz

Library Council unanimously approved PSLO2 and is currently available.

How will spring semester differ from current service.

Mick has made no recommendation to change the service model. Mike and Gwen can speak with Bill and Jimmy, to request operating out the library instead of a study space. Mick will follow-up with Gwen and Mike to set up a meeting.

November 10, 2020

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

November 3, 2020

11:00 AM – 12:12 PM

 

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Erica Hubbard, Director, CE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

 

Material Allocation

Directors can order eBooks within their budget; you can create carts for print books, but no print orders will be placed. Mick will send the material allocation to staff to review amounts given per college.

Conditional reserve access

Library Council agreed it is best to speak with the staff who will be handling these materials. Angela will meet with CUG regarding this matter, the meeting is scheduled for Friday morning. For now, we are not checking out reserve items.

Updates on purchasing additional webcams

Four webcams will be given to each open campus, 20 in total. Directors have the option to checkout each webcam or have webcams stationed on computers.

Booking Concerns

How will bookings be managed when we come close to compacity? Students are only allowed to book one reservation. We will not remove students from a space if there are open bookings available, after their booking they are concerned a walkup. Once we are close to capacity, this option will not be available.

Faculty printing

Currently faculty is requesting to print in the library, this will be discussed with the COO’s.

Mini term hours and staffing

Mick recommends Southwest and Northwest campus handle the mini term virtually with two Librarians. Open from 8:00 am – 1:30 pm, no part-timers need to be scheduled. If coverage is needed, SW and NW will reach out to other Directors.

PSLO2 Quiz

Library Council unanimously approved PSLO2 and is currently available.

How will spring semester differ from current service.

Mick has made no recommendation to change the service model. Mike and Gwen can speak with Bill and Jimmy, to request operating out the library instead of a study space. Mick will follow-up with Gwen and Mike to set up a meeting.

Nov. 3, 2020

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams
November 3, 2020
10:00 AM – 12:00 PM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
  • Erica Hubbard, Director, CE
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
  • Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

Discussions

  • SS DeliveryWeeding Project
    Directors will handle weeding projects locally at their discretion. Books pulled will be held at locations until Library Support Services are ready to receive items. Angela request Directors send list of all books pulled so LSS can suppress them. SS Delivery will be discussed at the next Library Council meeting.
  • Lead time for bookings
    Library Council agreed to change lead time from one day to three days, Directors will update their calendars. Mick will speak with Mildred to update the screening location fliers with the new lead times.
  • Language for web page and confirmations
    The guidelines were updated to reflect the screening location one-page flier, located in the center column above Study and Computer space reservations, links are by each college.
  • Collection development
    Library Council verified members of the collection development committee; Mick will serve as the Director liaison. Directors will advise if any Library Assistants are interested in serving on the committee. Cindy requested the budget for spending, Mick will send material allocations to Directors for each location. Library Council agreed not to spend any funds on periodicals. Due to the print backlog, new print orders will be postponed until January, unless we get an emergency request.
  • Notating seat numbers in Bookings
    Erica inquired if there is any type of reporting expected from us regarding Bookings? Mick advised this will be good for a log but is not necessary to notate in Bookings.
  • Conditional printing
    Library Council agreed to wait another week before making a final decision on printing.
  • Conditional reserve access
    Library Council will discuss this topic at the next meeting.

October 27, 2020

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

Microsoft Teams

October 27, 2020

10:00 AM – 12:26 PM

 

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE

Erica Hubbard, Director, CE

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

 

Discussions

 

Monday updates from campuses

Library Council discussed if the five open locations should be closed for cleaning during 12-1 pm scheduled time. For this week continue to use the method for your location until next meeting. Cindy will speak with NW administration to get clarification on specialty cleaning crew and if the area needs to be cleared for cleaning. Cindy will report back to Library Council with findings. Mick recommends we stay with one day and if needed we will change to two days.

Flier for screening location

Directors will assist with creating wording for the fliers, the marketing

committee will review the flier and give feedback. Mick wants to the fliers tomake recommendations. Flier will be completed and at the screening locations by next week after approval.

Language for web page and confirmations

Library Council will discuss at a later date.

Collection development

Library Council will discuss at a later date.

Printing/ Student Services for library use

Printing is not a service Library Services is currently offering, but we will phase this service in. Mick is requesting all to make note when students ask for this service.

Feb. 4, 2020

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

GoTo Meeting
February 4, 2020
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
Raquel Putman, Office Manager, DE

Discussions

  1. Approved minutes
  2. Community Logins
    Directors provided updates regarding implementation of logins for guests. The general guideline is each guest gets one, 1 hour login per day. Exceptions are allowed at the discretion of the librarians for reasons like registration or research requiring HCC library resources.
  3. 3D Printing
    Erica created a 3D printing request form, which will be used by students, faculty and staff when requesting print jobs and consultations. Mick will email Directors giving reminder to send out which locations will be available for 3D printing and what training may be needed.
  4. Budget
    Library Council reviewed proposed outreach budget for district wide libraries, all agreed to approve. Mick will recommend having West Loop, Northline and Alief Hayes libraries open on Sunday in the summer.
  5. SharePoint
    Mick proposed to open SharePoint to all full-time staff and part-time librarians with read only access. Library Council agreed, Raquel will start sending out invitations to full-time librarians first.
  6. Library Committees – Library Assistants
    Library Council agreed that full-time library assistants could serve on a committee. Supervisors can work with the library assistants who would like to serve.
  7. Streaming video faculty/ department request
    Library council agreed to hold back $5000 from the database budget to cover this expense. If needed, we will transfer money from the book budget to cover overages.
  8. Evaluations for PT Staff
    Mick will confirm with Talent Engagement if adjunct librarians need to be evaluated since there is a stipulation that evaluations are not necessary if the adjunct is not currently teaching.
  9. Automatic Renewals
    Directors will review data sent by Angela and consult with staff for input on automatic renewals. Library Council will make a decision at the next meeting.
  10. Replacing Coin copiers
    RFP is still in review, it should cover all equipment.
  11. Creating district wide emergency sub list
    Mick will update the staff list. A column will be added, PT Sub- Locations, where PT librarians can update the locations they are available to sub. Raquel will add to SharePoint. Librarians should only be considered as a sub if they are scheduled to work under 12 hours.

Dec. 4, 2019

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

5601 W. Loop S, Room 105
December 4, 2019
9:00 AM – 12:15 PM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
Raquel Putman, Office Manager
June Keller, Program Coordinator, Engineering
Brenda Quintanilla, Regional Manager, IIT & Learning Services

Discussions

  1. Approved minutes
  2. 3D Printing
    Mick invited June Keller and Brenda Quintanilla to discuss 3D printing resources within the library. Brenda asked which libraries have 3D printing, would the locations be able to handle an increase in print jobs, what are the hours of availability and will students at other HCC campuses be able to use these resources. There are currently 10 libraries equipped with 3D printing, availability dates and times vary between locations. Library Council will further discuss the possibilities of printing weekends, longer print jobs, and overnight. More training will need to be scheduled to handle the demand. Mick and Brenda will exchange procedure guidelines and a new list of guidelines will be created to better serve students. All these items will be discussed at future meetings and our goal is to ready by spring semester.
  3. Oasis Ordering
    At this time all invoices are sent to LRC Support for processing and will be paid with P-card. To create an easier work flow, Angela is requesting that 1 item invoices not be submitted, and advises that different account codes can be on the same invoice. Mick will speak with Kerry Doucette regarding the current purchase procedures and how to make the process easier for LRC. At the next meeting Angela will demonstrate how to use PG Admin, this will give Directors access to amounts spent.
  4. Library Council Reorganization
    Library Council reviewed the Board’s definition and policies regarding committees and councils. Library Council discussed the possibly of adding members
  5. Library Instruction classrooms
    Mick showed floor plans and diagrams of classroom concepts being considered for West Houston Institute, and asked Library Council’s opinions on the layout working for Library Instructional classrooms. Mick will share with Librarians at either or both, Library In-service and the Library Forum.
  6. Process for inclusion of open access resources
    Cindy asked about the current process for inclusion of open access resources to the list of databases on the library homepage. The list includes resources that we have had listed for a long time which were added by the Library Instruction Committee (World FactBook, Bartlett’s Quotations, EDGAR, etc.), resources recommended by faculty (Arachne, AllMusic, etc.), resources that I selected because they are scientific and/or scholarly (Digital Commons, Astrophysics Data System, etc.), and resources recommended by librarians (EW, British Library Photo stream, HCC Fashion Archive, etc.). There is currently no committee in charge of vetting the open access resources.
  7. Automatic Renewals
    Angela will discuss this item at the next meeting.
  8. January 7th Library In-service and LTA Request for breakout session ideas during lunch
    Keitha asked Library Council which topics they would like discussed at the In-service, all agreed on Open Access and Liaison.

Oct. 29, 2019

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

3100 Main St, 12A05
October 29, 2019
9:00 AM – 12:15 PM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
Raquel Putman, Office Manager, SYS
Sara Clemens, Master Scheduling Coordinator, SYS
Sherman Harness, Auxiliary Application System Manager, SYS

Discussions

  1. Approved minutes
  2. AD Astra
    Sara Clemens and Sherman Harness provided a quick demonstration on AD Astra administrative insights and how the software is used for District wide scheduling. Library Directors will provide information on different areas in their libraries to ensure accuracy in AD Astra.
  3. Study Room procedures
    Library Council discussed current study room procedures and agreed verbiage needs to be updated regarding requesting student IDs. “Librarians reserve the right to request a Student ID” will be added to the Guidelines and Procedures under 2.004.2
  4. Library In-service
    Library Council is considering hosting Library In-service at West Loop campus instead of Felix Fraga on January 7th.
  5. Guidelines and “Lanes” for Goals, 2019-2020
    Bill questioned if we have specific guidelines on PEP goals. Mick advised the goals should demonstrate impact and change, goals can be at the campus, college or district level.
  6. Current liaison list from our website
    Erica discussed the outdated information on the liaison website and inquired on who is responsible for updating content. Library Council clarified the roles and duties for maintaining information on the liaison website. Directors are responsible for providing updated information to Angela, and she will update the webpage. Librarians and Directors who do not have liaison responsibilities and are listed, will stay on the list. Angela is researching other ways to display the liaison list to enhance functionality and searching features. Once complete the Web committee and Liaison committee will review changes.
  7. Digital Frontiers Conference
    Erica provided an update on the Digital Frontiers Conference. Erica Hubbard, Bethany Herman, and Suzette Brimmer presented on the Historical Fashion Archive during the conference.
  8. WebEx online instruction issues
    Librarians reported they are having technical issues while using WebEx. Librarians are advised to continue to submit tickets to technical support when issues arise.
  9. CRN Numbers
    Cindy had questions concerning adding CRN numbers on instruction request forms and how multiple sessions will be captured. Library Council agreed CRN numbers section will be added to instructional request form for all locations. Pivot tables can capture multiple sessions if CRNs are entered correctly.

Sep. 30, 2019

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

GoTo Meeting
September 30, 2019
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Discussions

  1. Approved minutes
  2. Supply Budget
    Library Council discussed the supply budget allocations for 2018-19. Makerspace items like filament and kits will continue to come out of the supply allocation. As the year continues, money can be moved from the book allocation to supplies for makerspace purchases. The library supply budget should not be used laptops or computers. If there are computer needs, submit an IT request. We still need to clarify OBS maintenance with IT. Webcams to be used with Respondus can be purchased.
  3. Book PO
    Mick reviewed the book allocations with Library Council. The book line item is less than 2018-19. Adding to the Springer collection was discussed. Library Council was generally neutral about Springer. Library Council wanted to see more use data. Angela and Mick will provide addition data to inform the decision.
  4. Chromebooks
    Library Council discussed current Chromebook policies. Because of the G-Suite agreement, the libraries cannot check out Chromebooks to students under 18. Netbooks can be checked out. Mick is working to find a solution to satisfy the requirements of the G-Suite agreement. Renewals were discussed, but no recommendations were moved forward. Angela will look at Sierra’s capabilities to create a single queue for requests for all Chromebooks. This solution would not be implemented until the fall.

June 12, 2019

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES

GoTo Meeting

June 12, 2018

8:30 AM – 11:36 AM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
  • Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
  • Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager

I. Approved minutes

II. Discussions

a. CUG minutes/meeting

Library Council agreed meeting minutes should be posted and accessible. All documents should be WCAG compliant. Mick will provide an email with more information to the chairs of the sub committees.

b. PT Library Hiring

Mick advised we can hire more PT staff as needed to get us through the summer.

c. Library Science Database

Angela will send an email to the Library Council with more information on journal choices. Mick recommends the Database Committee to review options.

d. Learning Commons Brainstorm

Library Council discussed the Learning Commons Brainstorm for the new Katy campus. Cindy will share the statistics from the areas requested with the Library Council.

e. Amazon Business Accounts

All Library Council p-card holders should register for an Amazon Business accounts in compliance with new policies. Communicate with procurement any issues that arise during purchasing. Raquel will review purchase contract with Tejas and report office supplies designated for purchase.

f. OBS Maintenance

Library Council discussed who is responsible for maintenance, support and equipment replacement. Mick advised as of now we are responsible and replacement parts will be provided out of the libraries budget. A discussion will be held with IT on possible support with maintenance.

g. IT/Accessibility

LRC Support configured a way to add Lockdown browser on Netbooks, no decommissions will happen at this time. Google admin accounts are moving to SAML, with SAML, LRC Support will no longer have to create google accounts for students.

h. Payment Plans

Library Council discussed having a standardized payment plan for students. Mick is going to email a proposal payment plan to be used across district, will share with Library Council for comments.

i. Mission Statement

Angela advised our department page needs to be updated according to brand standards and include the mission statement. Our current mission statement will be added as written.

j. Budget

The Library will have a two percent reduction in 2019-2020’s budget, Mick will review the changes identified in spreadsheet, and will discuss further in next month’s meeting.

April 8, 2019

LIBRARY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

GoTo Meeting
April 8, 2019
9:00 AM – 11:30 AM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
  • Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
  • Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Approve Minutes

Minutes approved as written

Discussions

  1. LTA (Library Training Academy) May event

    Mick provided updates from a March 26 email about the May LTA event. Date has been changed to May 24. No libraries will close. Library assistants and librarians who have met training goals should be given priority to attend. Program will include an activity related to customer service and library statistics and accomplishments. The goal of the program is to make connections to work practices and daily tasks.

  2. LTA Post-training expectations

    The directors are happy with the LTA, but have some concerns. The directors would like to see more formal goals and how the training is being used on the job. A mission and vision should be developed for the LTA. A recommendation will be passed to the LTA committee to review the 12 hour goal and develop a mission and vision. Ideas on how to connect training to work practices were discussed. Ideas include monthly virtual brown bag lunches to discuss training attended, changing the survey to include a question on how the training will be used, and change the registration to get feedback from attendee on their expected outcomes. It was also recommended that LTA chairs be invited to an upcoming Library Council meeting to discuss the LTA.

  3. ACRL Virtual Conference

    Mick sent an email to Library Council on how to access the ACRL Virtual Conference. We have 10 total sites that can access the Virtual Conference.

  4. Process for database trials

    Mick outlined the current process for setting up trials. Library Council agreed to trials at any time. Ideally, the Database Committee will set up trials, and send out the info with the length of time is clearly stated in email. Mick will communicate to Database Committee chair this change and that it is OK to set up a trial even if there are no specific deselection plans.

  5. Library servers

    Angela provided information in a spreadsheet about what information is stored on cloud servers and where it is stored. Cost and functionality are considerations if we migrate data from one server to another.

  6. Email

    Library Council discussed the possible need for protocols, such as color coding and subject line rules when using the library email distribution lists. Mick will initiate an email discussion with Library Council with the goal of sending out an email to all outlining best practices. All agree the distribution lists are a powerful way to communicate and share info.

  7. Annual report

    Based on comments from a number of library staff, Mick is going to work on creating an Annual Report. The report would highlight key performance statistics and accomplishments. The hope is that it will complement the dashboard. Raquel Putman and the Marketing Committee will help develop content. Raquel has already reached out Communications. The next step is to identify content and develop a template.

  8. Midwest spending

    A spending report was sent out last week. Angela will follow up on orders outside of Midwest. Many of these orders are not appearing the report.

  9. Supply and p-card spending

    Raquel has compiled a p-card spending spreadsheet. The report will be sent out this week. Mick will look at total spending and allocate more funds to the colleges if they are available.

February 7, 2019

LIBRARY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

3100 Main St, 12A05
February 7, 2019
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
Raquel Putman, Office Manager, Library Services

Discussions

Approved Minutes
Upcoming Library Hours

Sunday, February 14th, March 10th and March 17th all locations will be closed.

3D Printers and OBS checkout

Mick will send email requesting participation names for 3D and OBS group, each college does not have to have a representative. Library Council or their designees will develop district-wide pages with links to specific campus and district guidelines. Library Council wants to find a consistent way to track 3D printer, OBS and Group study rooms’ usage. Mick will send out email with possible solutions to track usage and Directors will discuss with their staff.

Chromebooks and Netbooks

We have reached our capacity for Chromebooks, will look to replace as needed. Library Council will not request to increase Chromebooks. There still could be a need for Netbooks or similar devices, will discuss maintenance and servicing with IT.

Guest Accounts

Library Council had a brief discussion about guest accounts. Most problems that started after December 2018 have been resolved.

Skills and Task Inventory

Angela has created a skill and task inventory list and it is located on the Sierra Training page. Contact Angela for more information, and she will like additional feedback to make document better.

Collection Assessment

Library Council discussed licensing of collection development evaluation tool. Depending on cost we will look to license Books in Print for one year.

SGA Textbook

Erica is making a request to have book collection drop boxes for Honor College book program at Stafford and Spring Branch. Directors will check if possible to post fliers. In the future, we can look into the possibility of having a book collection box at all campuses.

November 25, 2018

LIBRARY COUNCIL MEETING MINUTES

GoTo Meeting
November 26, 2018
9:00 AM – 11:20 AM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
Raquel Putman, Office Manager, Library Services

Discussions

Approved Minutes
Upcoming Library Hours

Sunday, December 16th all locations will be closed. Katy and West Loop will have open hours during spring mini term. Mick will recommend that the libraries will be closed on Sunday, January 20.

GoTo Meeting Recordings

Library Council decided that going forward GoTo Meetings will be recorded.

Academic Integrity & Student remediation

At HCC Central, Student Services has partnered with Library Services to assist students with academic integrity issues. As an intervention, students can attend webinars and take quizzes. In the future, more webinars on academic integrity and plagiarism may need to be scheduled. As needed, students may also be assigned one-on-one counseling with a librarian. There is a possibility of expanding to more colleges.

Teacher Education/EDU 1300

Library Council discussed who should be the new EDUC 1300 (Teacher Education liaison). A few individuals were interested. Library Council decided on Jennifer Crispin. The Liaison Taskforce will be asked to recommend a process to replace liaisons. The Taskforce will also be asked to make a recommendation if it should become permanent committee or if the responsibilities become a part of another committee.

Equipment Inventory for Sierra equipment records

Inventory is a work in progress. Staff should barcode new equipment and complete the equipment addition form on the For Librarians page. This is the procedure for any equipment that will be used by faculty and students. If possible they should try to keep in-house use statistics for items that do not circulate.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

LIBRARY COUNCIL AGENDA

3100 Main, 12A05
September 13, 2018
9:00 AM – 11:300 AM

ATTENDEES

  • Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
  • Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
  • Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
  • Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
  • Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE
  • Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
  • Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS
  • Raquel Putman, Office Manager

Discussions

Book POs

Library Council voted on keeping Midwest & EBSCO, Directors need to establish how much will be needed for each PO. Oasis can be used with P-card up to $3,500. Oasis orders will be completed by Angela, once invoices are received she will send to Directors for payment.

Newspapers

Newspapers will be ordered through Angela, delivered to District, and then distributed to each campus. Raquel will create a spreadsheet for Directors to express their newspaper preference for each campus.

Supply Budget

Mick stated we may consider having funds that are not allocated for FY 2020. A process could be developed to apply for these unallocated funds to support programs.

Hiring Pool

Gwen is having issues with locating and hiring PT Librarians. Library Council agreed PT Library Pool will be cleared with the criteria, application date past 6 months and Library Assistant Pool with the criteria, application date before 2018. Mick will request a Library Assistant I Pool position be created for each college.

Liaison Duties

Cindy had questions concerning liaison committee duties, liaison workload tracking and duties assigned are up to Directors. Erica suggested using SharePoint or Google One Drive for shared documents. We will use SharePoint for an information database for Library Assistants, Librarians, and Directors.

Computer usage

Gwen wanted to know how to track computer usage, IT does not currently track computer use. Librarians have the option to track with tally sheet and can visit open computer labs and see if/ how they are tracking.

Chromebooks

Discussed issues pertaining to and the potential of purchasing more. Mick will invite Dr. Carter to further discuss loan periods, cost and IT support.

Dual Credit Students

Mick advised, likely, students under the age of 18 will be able to checkout Chromebooks. Mick will send language which will be included in the Dual credit handbook to Directors for review.

Library Council, June 27, 2018

Library Council Minutes

Go To Meeting

June 27, 2018,  9:00 AM – 11:00 AM

ATTENDEES

Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services

Bill Hord, Library Director, SW

Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE

Erica Hubbard, Library Director, CE

Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW

Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS

Discussions
Cataloging standardization for makerspace items. Loan standardization for non-book items.

Library Council agreed that standardization for non-book items would be desirable in most instances. The specifics of standardization for both the records and loan periods needs further discussion. Angela indicated that Klairon is making full catalog records. Since all items will have barcodes, the libraries can track in-house use. All agreed that tracking use is necessary to inform future purchases and justifications for additional funding.

Budget

Mick indicated that we still have funds in Midwest PO and supply budget for end of the FY purchases. He indicated that he will send out spend out plan for supplies. In an email, Rosa updated the estimated amount left in the Midwest PO. All pending carts can be sent in and will be released as funds are available. Mick did not have any updates on the library 2018-19 budget.

Books

Council discussed having just one book vendor. The suggestion is regards to having both Midwest and Oasis. Council discussed options including YBP. All directors still advocate for the need to have direct ordering. Council discussed the advantages and drawback of shelf ready books. Options that would reduce time to process direct order books were discussed. Library Council agreed that books will be shipped to the campuses without date due slips starting immediately. Campus will get supplies of date due slips to put into books on an as needed basis.

Library Council discussed reforming the Collection Development Committee. Cross disciplinary Library Council. Library Council discussed the possibility of adding additional members to Library Council from other disciplines. Erica would like us to find a new chair for the Liaison Taskforce. Also, we need to review liaison assignment and update the list as needed.

Excessive overrides for Chromebook renewals.

This is a system-wide issue. After a discussion, Library Council decided if an override for renewal is executed, the library director for the college that did the override must put a note on the patron record. An override should only be extended once if it is deemed necessary. Semester-long loans were discussed but are not being considered at this time.

Create List

To allow the colleges to have access to more lists, Angela will reduce the number of records allowed in each list. Implementation will take some time and the list number ranges assigned to the colleges will change. Library Council approved this plan.

Thursday, September 28, 2017

LIBRARY COUNCIL MINUTES
Thursday, September 28, 2017
Go To Meeting
9-11AM

ATTENDEES


Michael (Mick) Stafford, Exec. Director, Library Services
Gwen Richard, Library Director, NE
Bill Hord, Library Director, SW
Michael Mitchell, Library Director, SE
Cynthia Belmar, Library Director, NW
Angela Secrest, Library Director, SYS 
Leonard Cazares, Librarian CE
Madeline Sidenblad, Office Manager 

Announcements & News 


Mick reported that the Library Assessment results could be viewed and he quickly pulled results by instructor. Dates of Data are FY17 – September 1, 2016 through August 31, 2017. Data is stored and will be put in a shared location. Overall everyone was happy with the progress.

Report Items


Mick gave everyone an ADA Laptop Update. The laptops are having the software installed and are being taken to Spring Branch at this time. Information is being sent out on checkout procedures, etc.

Discussion

Bill asked what the allocations for e-books was and if allocations per program were required.   Mick stated that each college had $10,000 except Central who has $ 20,000 because they wanted to focus more resources on e-books. It was discussed that Oasis cannot tell if we have a duplicate order with them or with another vendor. Angela said that Sierra fund reports for spending can be provided, if needed. There is going to be a fund coding statistics workshop soon for the librarians to show the changes from last year. Mick said that Rosa will send out the new fund code list for college allocation of Midwest regular books.  Mick indicated that the directors should allocate to program fund codes based on their total allocation less periodical and newspaper costs.

Other


Bill brought the suppression of charging cords in the catalogs and all agreed that it was a good idea. Bill also brought up the idea of getting discontinuing agreements for Netbooks since there are none for Chromebooks. It was decided to have the Circulation User Group meet and discuss the agreements. Angela indicated that we are going to be able to purchase more Chromebooks and Netbooks for circulation.  The budget will be $150,000.  For fall, we are spending $100,000 for Chromebooks and for Spring, $50,000 for either Chromebooks or Netbooks.  Allocations to the campuses will be determined by circulation statistics.

©2020 Houston Community College Libraries