What are alerting services?
Many databases allow users to register for regular alerts to help them keep up to date on a topic. There are several different types:
- Search Alerts - runs a saved search across the database on a regular basis, sending results via email or displaying to a user online
- Journal Alerts – provides a list of articles from forthcoming issues of a particular journal
- Citation Alerts – generates alerts whenever a nominated article or author is cited by another author
- RSS Feed Alerts – news service for databases, blogs and journals, sends updates to RSS Reader software
Why set up alerting services?
- To keep up-to-date with the latest research
- To identify new areas of research
- To save you time as you will automatically be notified whenever new information matching your chosen field of study is published